In some instances, there are violations in getting traffic tickets in Michigan that are waivable. This article aims to discuss the basic information about waivable violations.
What are the waivable violations?
The following are the waivable violations in getting traffic tickets.
Failed to Display Valid License
When you fail to display a valid license, you can get a ticket. This is a misdemeanor. This can be found in Section 257.311, to wit:
Section 257.311 – Possession of operator’s or chauffeur’s license or receipt when operating motor vehicle required; display; identification
The licensee shall have his or her operator’s or chauffeur’s license, or the receipt described in section 311a, in his or her immediate possession at all times when operating a motor vehicle, and shall display the same upon demand of any police officer, who shall identify himself or herself as such.
Keep in mind that it is punishable by up to 90 days in jail and a fine of up to $100. You can get this waived as long as the issuing officer marks the ticket as waivable.
Registration Violation (No Proof OR Unsigned)
The Registration Violation (No Proof OR Unsigned) is another waivable violation in the State of Michigan. We will cover this more in another article. It is a civil infraction that can be waived. The waiver depends primarily on the issuing officer but keep in mind that the following are not required registration in the State of Michigan.
The following vehicles are NOT subject to registration:
- A boat lift used for transporting vessels between a marina or a body of water and a place of inland storage. MCL 257.216(o).
- An implement of husbandry. MCL 257.216(c).
- A moped. MCL 257.216(k).
- A new motor vehicle driven or moved on a street or highway only for the purpose of moving the vehicle from an accident site to a storage location if the vehicle was being transported on a railroad car or semi trailer that was involved in a disabling accident. MCL 257.216(n).
- A pickup camper. MCL 257.216(m)
- A trailer, semitrailer, or pole trailer that weighs less than 2,500 pounds. MCL 257.216(g).
- A vehicle driven or moved on a street or highway, by the most direct route, only for the purpose of securing a scale weight receipt from a weighmaster or obtaining a vehicle inspection by a law enforcement agency before titling or registration of that vehicle. MCL 257.216(h).
- A vehicle that is driven or moved on a street or highway only for the purpose of crossing that street or highway from 1 property to another. MCL 257.216(b)
- For 3 days immediately following the date of a properly assigned title or signed lease agreement from any person other than a dealer, a registration is not required for a vehicle driven or moved on a street or highway for the sole purpose of transporting the vehicle by the most direct route from the place of purchase or lease to a place of storage if the driver has in his or her possession the assigned title showing the date of sale or a lease agreement showing the date of the lease. MCL 257.216(l).
In the coming articles, let us look at some other facts about registration in Michigan.
Defective Equipment is another waivable violation in Michigan. It is a civil infraction but it can be waived by the ticket.
Haque Legal Has Your Back
Here at Haque Legal, we always have your back. Make sure that on your first free consultation we tell you everything that you need to know about your case as well as the cost and the expenses that would be associated with the filing of your case.
The consultation is free for the first time because we understand that you need to at least have that guidance coming from a reputable law firm and lawyer to assess your case. If you have a personal injury case and you need a lawyer to handle it you can always contact our law firm and we can talk about your situation and the best way that we can handle it, especially in terms of the expenses.
Let Haque Legal Help You With Your Case
If you require a lawyer who can assist you with ensuring that you protect your rights, it is important to know that you also have a team that can help you out with your specific needs.
Our law firm is dedicated to making sure that those who are innocent will be protected by the law and that the full extent of justice will be used.
The article that you have read is based on general applications of the law. It is not legal advice and it is not to be construed as any legal consultation with the firm. No client-attorney relationship is created when you read the articles we have provided.
Let us help you out
If you need a lawyer to help you during your proceedings, call us immediately. If you have any problem with the law or are seeking justice and truth, our numbers are standing by to take your call.