Traffic laws can be confusing. There are instances when you need to remind yourself that you should always be mindful of the laws in case you are driving alone.
Of course, even when you are following all traffic laws, you may still get pulled over. This article talks about how you should act when you are pulled over by a police officer in the State of Michigan.
Pull over as soon as you notice emergency lights behind you
If you are just breezing through the highway and the boulevard, you should always be on the lookout for things that would require your attention. For example, when you notice emergency lights behind you, you should pull over when it is safe to do so.
You can easily see a spot where it is safe to stop, preferably a well-lighted spot when it is dark. Make sure that you do the following:
- Stay in your vehicle at all times. When you are approached by the police officer, you should be visible on the driver’s side.
- Keep your hands in sight on the steering wheel. The best thing that you can do is to keep your hands on the steering wheel and not do any unnecessary movement. Your hands on the steering wheel signify that you will cooperate with the police.
- If you have a dash camera or a mobile phone that can record a video, make sure that you have it for your protection. We recommend that you place it in an area where it can see the police officer clearly but that the police officer cannot see. You need to protect yourself, even if there is nothing unusual.
Prepare your important documents to be presented to the police officer
You must always stay calm. At that point of the traffic stop, the police officer who pulled you over should state why you were stopped. If he does not, you should ask why you were stopped and let them know that you are conscious of what is happening.
Here are some points that you should remember at this point:
- Wait for the officer to ask for your documents.
- When doing small talk, do not get into unnecessary details. There is no need for any personal information about your whereabouts to be divulged.
- Provide your driver’s license, your vehicle registration, and your insurance only when asked. You must always have these ready.
- When you are addressing the officer, you can speak with the same level of respect that you expect from him.
These are two things that you should remember. We will continue this series in the next part of this article.
Haque Legal Has Your Back
Here at Haque Legal, we always have your back. Make sure that on your first free consultation, we tell you everything that you need to know about your case as well as the cost and the expenses that would be associated with the filing of your case.
The consultation is free for the first time because we understand that you need to at least have that guidance coming from a reputable law firm and lawyer to assess your case. If you have a personal injury case and you need a lawyer to handle it you can always contact our law firm and we can talk about your situation and the best way that we can handle it, especially in terms of the expenses.
Let Haque Legal Help You With Your Case
If you require a lawyer who can assist you with ensuring that you protect your rights, it is important to know that you also have a team that can help you out with your specific needs.
Our law firm is dedicated to making sure that those who are innocent will be protected by the law and that the full extent of justice will be used.
The article that you have read is based on general applications of the law. It is not legal advice and it is not to be construed as any legal consultation with the firm. No client-attorney relationship is created when you read the articles we have provided.
Let us help you out
If you need a lawyer to help you during your proceedings, call us immediately. If you have any problem with the law or are seeking justice and truth, our numbers are standing by to take your call.