Getting a United States VISA is a very serious matter. This could mean a shift in your citizenship eventually or a matter that affects your status.
In this article, let us talk about the different kinds of United States VISA that you can get and why you need to learn more about them first.
The general classification of the US Visa can be divided into two: the immigrant visa and the non-immigrant visa.
Immigrant Visa is granted to any foreign-born individual who intends to make the United States a permanent home. This would include the visa for a resident alien, a green card holder, an immigrant, and a permanent resident,
Individuals who want to work in the United States or who intend to make the United States their permanent home should get an immigrant visa.
What are the common immigrant visas?
Generally, an individual is entitled to an immigrant visa if he acquires the visa through a family member or an employer.
In some cases, immigrant status can also be achieved through refugee or asylum status. Other humanitarian programs can also be a path towards immigrant visa. Depending on the path you chose, gaining immigrant status can be considered as a lengthy and complex process. This is why you need a lawyer to make sure that you will get the process done as legally and as quickly as possible.
The non-immigrant visa is another kind of visa that the United States government grants to other foreign-born individuals. Generally, you need to have a non-immigrant visa if you plan to visit the United States within a certain time frame.
This would include tourism, temporary work, school, or business. There are many varieties of the non-immigrant visa. The visa that you would apply for would apply on a case-to-case basis.
The Many Kinds of United States VISA based on Need
It is important to first list down the different kinds of United States VISA based on your needs. What are the needs? It depends on your specific situation. Generally, the following are the different kinds of US Visa that one can apply for.
These are the non-immigrant VISAs.
- Athletes, amateur and professional (competing for prize money only)
- Athletes, artists, entertainers
- Australian worker – professional specialty
- Border Crossing Card: Mexico
- Business visitors
- Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands (CNMI)-Only Transitional Worker Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands (CNMI)-Only Transitional Worker – Dependents
- Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands (CNMI)-Only Foreign Investor
- Crewmembers (serving aboard a sea vessel or aircraft in the U.S.)
- Diplomats and foreign government officials
- Domestic employees or nannies (must be accompanying a foreign national employer)
- Employees of a designated international organization, and NATO
- Exchange visitors
- Exchange visitors – au pairs
- Exchange visitors – children (under age 21) or spouse of a J-1 holder
- Exchange visitors – professors, scholars, teachers
- Exchange visitors – international cultural
- Foreign military personnel stationed in the U.S.
- Foreign nationals with extraordinary ability in sciences, arts, education, business or athletics
- Free Trade Agreement (FTA) professionals: Singapore
- Information media representative (media, journalists)
- Intra-company transferees
- NAFTA professional workers
- Nurses traveling to areas short of health care professionals
- Religious workers
- Specialty occupations in fields requiring highly specialized knowledge
- Students – academic and language students
- Student dependents – dependent of an F-1 holder
- Students – vocational
- Student dependents – dependent of an M-1 holder
- Temporary workers – seasonal agricultural
- Temporary workers – nonagricultural
- Tourism, vacation, pleasure visitors
- Training in a program not primarily for employment
- Treaty investors
- Treaty traders
- Transiting the United States
- Victims of human trafficking
In the next part of this series, we will provide a discussion on the different kinds of United States Visa.
Haque Legal is Here To Help
We have been around. We have handled hundreds of cases on immigration. We can help you get your visa and work your way around getting that citizenship that you deserve. Haque Legal is here and you can find that the best kind of experience for you is to hire our law firm.
Here at Haque Legal, we always have your back. Make sure that on your first free consultation we tell you everything that you need to know about your immigration case as well as the cost and the expenses that would be associated with it.
The consultation is free for the first time because we understand that you need to at least have that guidance coming from a reputable law firm and lawyer to assess your case. If you have concerns about your immigration and you need a lawyer to handle it you can always contact our law firm and we can talk about your situation and the best way that we can handle it especially in terms of the expenses.
Let Haque Legal Help You With Your Case
If you require a lawyer who can assist you with ensuring that you protect your rights, it is important to know that you also have a team that can help you out with your specific needs.
Our law firm is dedicated to making sure that those who are innocent will be protected by the law and the full extent of justice will be used.
The article that you have read is based on general applications of the law. It is not legal advice and it is not to be construed as any legal consultation with the firm. No client-attorney relationship is created when you read the articles we have provided.
Let us help you out
If you need a Southfield immigration lawyer to help you during your proceedings, call us immediately. If you have any problem with the law or are seeking justice and truth, our numbers are standing by to take your call.